Bachelor of Arts – Liberal Studies
4 Year Degree
St. Mary’s Liberal Studies program is for those who want to explore it all – history, biology, literature, philosophy and more. Liberal Studies offers a significant alternative to traditional degrees in a single discipline. It draws its rich content from the humanities, arts and sciences, and treats it in a way which brings out the connections between different disciplines. With a Liberal Studies degree, you will sift through complex concepts to come up with innovative ideas and ways of seeing the world. Students will learn how to tackle contemporary issues with a concentration in one of the following:
- Business and Management
- Canadian Studies
- Family Studies
- Catholic Studies
- Social Enterprise & Entrepreneurship
- Science Studies
- Political Studies
In the last year of the program, you will have the exciting opportunity to produce a creative and innovative project, that will showcase the variety of skills you have learned, and that will be useful for future endeavours in academic or employment pursuits.
- Communication: formulate and defend positions; effectively explain concepts and strategies in research papers to influence the reader; use vocabulary to suit a wide audience; and engage different opinions and viewpoints
- Research & editing: understand primary and secondary sources; sort information and generate new ideas; and use secondary sources and incorporating an author/critic’s idea in one’s research paper
- Analyical: read closely and analyze complex texts; evaluate ideas and research; conduct literature reviews; identify and practice the conventions and research methods of literary studies
- Problem-solving: reason logically; synthesize ideas; understand connection between various subjects; formulate questions relevant to clarifying a particular problem, topic, or issue
Below is a sample of jobs that may be relevant to this degree. Note that this is not an exhaustive list and some occupations require further education and experience.
- Marketing Coordinator
- Business Development Agent
- Workforce Development
- Tax Auditor
- Junior Accountant
- Career Advisor
- Executive Assistant
St. Mary’s University is a dynamic, welcoming teaching and research institution. We offer fully accredited, affordable and rigorous degrees that are recognized the world over. We hope that your adventure will be an amazing one, and that you will remain connected to St. Mary’s for a lifetime.