The Gardening Club
The Garden Club was created to help us with the maintenance of the medicine garden while creating an inheritance plan of responsibility for yeas to come and to provide an opportunity for interested community members to learn about native plant species and how they can be used.
Currently, we are working on maintaining the garden beds and shrubs through weeding and watering, creating an interactive source to access all of our research, officially opening the garden, and potentially making educational resources to couple with the garden.
We are running up against the time limit as fall starts to get colder and the frost is starting to cover the ground. The following is a list of upcoming activities that you can participate in.
- Task: Part of having a garden is making sure the species you didn’t purposely plant don’t show up. We need to pull some of the weeds that are popping up around the beds and the shrubs, so they don’t make themselves at home. The more hands the better!
- Learning: This can give you an opportunity to learn to identify the species we have planted, as well as the European species that are common weeds. You’ll also learn proper weeding technique.
- When: Friday, October 15th, 2021, from 8:30am-11:00am
- Task: As the summer rounds down and harvest season approaches, we want to open the garden, officially, to all community members. This will include an official naming by Elder Casey Eagle Speaker as well as resources to learn about the cultural significance of some of the species planted.
- When: Thursday, October 14th, 2021, at 1pm