St. Mary’s University President
Dr. Sinda Vanderpool
Dr. Sinda Vanderpool became St. Mary’s fourth president and vice-chancellor on July 1, 2022. With an extraordinary combination of impeccable academic credentials and dynamic leadership qualities, Dr. Vanderpool joins the university at a pivotal moment in St. Mary’s history. Before coming to Calgary, she spent the past 18 years working at Baylor University, a national Christian research university in Central Texas with 20,000 students, serving in various leadership roles, the last being Associate Vice Provost for Student Success.
- URSA Leadership Award for impacting research opportunities for Baylor undergraduates, awarded 2018
- Armstrong Prize, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, Princeton University, 1999-2003
- Armstrong/Foulet Grant for manuscript/archival research in Paris, October 2002
- Institut d’études françaises d’Avignon under the auspices of Bryn Mawr College, 2001
- Mellon Summer Fellowship, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, Summer 2000
- Le Prix de français, 1995, Davidson College
- Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Ph.D. in French Literature, May 2005
- Davidson College, Davidson, NC
- B.A., French High Honors, Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude, May 1995
Selected Professional Associations
- EAB, Advisory Board, Academic Affairs Forum
- NASPA (National Association of Student Personnel Administrators)
- AAC&U (Association of American Colleges and Universities)
- National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition
- Modern Language Association of America
- NACAC (National Association for College Admission Counselling)
- AACRAO (The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers)
- American Council on Education
“I am very honoured to serve as the President at St. Mary’s University and especially humbled to serve and uphold the mission of a learning institution that blends this Catholic Intellectual tradition and its philosophies that enrich the lives of our students and the community.”
Letter from the President
I am delighted to welcome you to our new website, the digital gateway to the heart and soul of St. Mary’s University. As President, I am thrilled to introduce this platform as an integral part of our ongoing commitment to providing excellence in education and fostering a strong sense of community among our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community of supporters.
Our new website is designed to reflect our core values, highlight our achievements, and provide an engaging experience for all who visit. It is a place where, even those who may not be able to join us on campus, can get a peek into our dynamic community.
Here you will find information about our academic programs, admission requirements, dedicated faculty, community gathering opportunities, and the vibrant student body that forms the backbone of St. Mary’s University. Whether you are a prospective student exploring your educational options, a current student looking for resources, a dedicated staff member contributing to our mission, or a proud alumnus eager to reconnect, our website is your resource.
Furthermore, the website will serve as a platform for ongoing communication and collaboration. You can expect to find regular updates on events, initiatives, and milestones that shape our academic and social landscape.
Our new website is not merely a static repository of information but a living ecosystem that will evolve alongside our institution, making it easier for you to access what you need when you need it.
Thank you for your continued support and engagement in the St. Mary’s University Community.
Dr. Sinda Vanderpool President and Vice Chancellor