International Students

International Students

St. Mary’s University is proud of its diverse and welcoming culture. StMU is a Designated Learning Institute (DLI Number O19273782872) eligible to accept and enroll international students on a study permit.

If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a valid study permit before you come to Canada.

Applying to St. Mary’s University

Applying for a study permit can be a lengthy process. We recommend that international students begin the admissions process at least three months prior to the term in which they would like to commence their studies.

The application deadline for the Fall term is May 1.

The application deadline for the Winter term is October 31.

International students are considered on case-by-case bases and must:

Assessment Services are available through:

International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS)

World Education Services (WES)

To Be Eligible To Study In Canada

  • Apply to St. Mary’s University and have your letter of acceptance
  • Have a valid passport
  • Submit a completed application with the requested fees to the Canadian Embassy or to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in your country
  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • You will not be a risk to the security of Canada
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies

For more information about obtaining a study permit, visit:

Health/Accident Insurance

It is important that you subscribe to the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) as soon as you arrive in Canada. You will need an Alberta Health Care Identification Card, Blue Cross Card or another private insurance plan identification card to access the health care system.

Students authorized to stay in Canada for 12 months or longer are required to register with AHCIP. You will be eligible to apply and to receive coverage on the date of your arrival. You must register within 3 months of your arrival in Canada. A copy of your Study Permit and /or your Temporary Resident Visa will be required when you apply for AHCIP.

AHCIP pays for services provided by Physicians (doctors) and oral surgeons. It also pays a portion of the cost of treatment provided by optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists and physical therapists. It does not pay for naturopaths, medication or ambulance services.

Apply for AHCIP by visiting one of the local registry agents or by mail:

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
Box 1360 Stn Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3

Additional information can be obtained by calling toll-free:

403-310-0000 or visiting the website for more information.

If you do not qualify for AHCIP, you may purchase health insurance from a private insurance company such as:

International students are not covered through St. Mary’s University’s accident insurance plan that covers injuries sustained in campus buildings or on the premises while attending classes on any regular day of classes; while attending or participating in any University activity approved and supervised by an appropriate University authority; while travelling directly to or from any regularly scheduled and approved University activity under the direction or supervision of a proper University authority; and while travelling to or from the insured’s residence and the University for the purpose of attending classes or participating in any University-sponsored activity.

English Language Proficiency

English is the official language of Instruction at St. Mary’s University. All applicants, regardless of their citizenship or country or origin, must demonstrate English language proficiency to be considered for admission to the University.

Acceptable English Language TestsBachelor of Education After-DegreeBA/BSc/Open Studies/ESR Diploma and Transfer Programs
TOEFL iBTMinimum overall 98 with minimum 27 in Speaking, 25 in Writing, 23 in Listening, 23 in Reading80 with no component score below 19
TOEFL BPTN/A550 with no component score less than 50
TOEFL CBTN/A213 with no component score less than 17
IELTS Academic8.0 with no bands below 7.0No individual score below 6.0
PTE OnlineN/A59
CLBN/ALevel 8
Canadian English Language Test (CAEL)N/A70
Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)200180
Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)200180