Bachelor of Arts – Psychology
3 or 4 Year Degree
Both the 3-year Psychology concentration and 4-year Psychology major degrees at St. Mary’s University provide students with a deeper understanding of human behaviour by learning about how our experiences, relationships, and social worlds interact with our predispositions and cognitive abilities to shape us and impact our everyday lives.
This degree will also ground you in psychological research methods and expose you to the variety of ways in which human behaviour can be understood. On this journey, you will learn to read, interpret and synthesize a broad range of ideas and research.
In addition to the 3-year and 4-year degrees, high achieving students in the 4-year major have the opportunity to apply for the Honours Psychology program upon completion of their 3rd year. With a dedicated psychology laboratory, St. Mary’s offers these exceptional students the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge as they conduct independent research in their area of interest under the supervision of a faculty member. Successful completion of the Honours program provides students the opportunity to gain experience that is highly valued in a number of fields and prepares students for the rigours of graduate school.
- Knowledge of Psychology: Understanding of physiological, emotional, cognitive and social determinants of behavior; Basic understanding of the various disciplines in psychology as well as major theories and history of psychology
- Research: knowledge of and experience with psychological research methods, including data collection and basic techniques of statistical analysis; conducting literature reviews; synthesizing and interpreting vast amounts of information; designing and conducting new research data analysis; interpreting and understanding both your own and other’s research results
- Communication: clear and persuasive speaking and writing; the formulation and defence of an informed opinion
- Problem-solving: critical thinking; evidence-based decision-making; logical reasoning; and a flexibility to take multiple perspectives
Below is a sample of jobs that may be relevant to this degree. Note that this is not an exhaustive list and some occupations require further education and experience.
- Research Assistant
- Clinical Study Coordinator
- Peer Health Education
- Individual, Couple and Family Counsellor
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Organization & Human Performance Analyst
- Youth Worker
- Lab/Research Assistant
- Information & Referral Counsellor
- Clinical Therapist
- Marketing Coordinator
- Student Success Assistant
- Clinical Neuropsychologist
St. Mary’s University is a dynamic, welcoming teaching and research institution. We offer fully accredited, affordable and rigorous degrees that are recognized the world over. We hope that your adventure will be an amazing one, and that you will remain connected to St. Mary’s for a lifetime.